Monday, May 12, 2008

One Trimester Down, Two to Go

I'm 13 weeks today, which means I'm starting my second trimester. Seems like time is going by so quickly! I'm already at the point where I need to wear maternity clothes most of the time and where people who don't know me are starting to suspect I'm pregnant. I look a lot bigger than I did last time - but I've gained less weight than I did with Seda at this point. It's like my body just remembered how to do all this and as soon as I was pregnant it decided to just let it all hang out.

I've been having a few more instances of round ligament pain - that's the sharp, shooting pains in the groin area that can happen when I stand or sit or move quickly. I've had them pretty much since I found out I was pregnant this time - the books all say you shouldn't get them at all until around now, but I had them from the beginning. Lucky me! At least I know what they are, so they don't worry me.

I have had a little nausea over the first trimester, but what has been much more irritating is persistent indigestion, heartburn, and general digestive ickiness. I can't pinpoint if there are certain foods causing it or eating at certain times - it seems to be random. The heartburn is especially bad during the night, to the point where it wakes me up sometimes and keeps me up. I have a bottle of Tums, a bottle of Rolaids, and a bottle of Maalox on my bedside stand and just rotate among them until one helps a little bit. I have high hopes that it will go away with the end of the first trimester. But if it doesn't, my doctor says I can try using Zantac now that I'm out of the first trimester. I'm also going to go out and get some probiotics and see if they help my digestive woes.

Seda has been practicing to be a big sister lately. When we see little babies when we're out somewhere she always wants to go up to them and practice her big sister skillz. At the library recently, I left her for a minute in the children's section so I could get a book in the adult section, and when I came back she was telling a one year old boy not to put things in his mouth, to be careful when he walked over the mat, and to sit in his own chair and not take hers. He thought she was great and followed her every move she made. She's mostly excited about a new baby coming, but she did recently learn that her grandma and mommy and daddy will also be grandma and mommy and daddy for the new baby, and she wasn't as happy about that. Other than that, though, she doesn't seem to be concerned with the new baby usurping her role. She seems happy with the idea that she is a big girl now and so she gets some things (big girl bed, able to play ball, can run around outside) and the new one will be a baby and has different things he or she will do (sleep in a crib, play with baby toys, use a pacifier). She is eager to share her old baby things with the new kid.

Other than that, we are still waiting for the results from the nuchal translucency screen and blood test. They said they would come in the mail last week, but we didn't see them. Hopefully today!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home