Tuesday, April 01, 2008

All About Bunny Pirates and Second Babies

Since Easter has so recently passed, Seda has been pretending to be a bunny frequently. Last night, she was hopping around in her diaper with her bunny purse. Very cute! Today she was pretending to be a bunny pirate. She told Mac that he should be something we couldn't quite understand. We finally figured out that she was saying "You mighty-mighty!" and meant that Mac should be the Mighty Mighty Bosstones because the band plays a pirate song on one of her favorite T.V. shows. Miss Boo also favors the band They Might Be Giants, which means that Seda already has more avante-garde musical tastes than I had at 18.

I've been worried lately about "second child syndrome." Don't second children get everything second-hand and second-rate? Will the new child feel like they got the raw end of the deal since this blog was all about Seda during the first pregnancy ... and is 75% about Seda during the second? And let me just say right now that if the second kid is a boy he's going to have to learn to deal with pink onesies and socks pretty early on, because we have a ton of them. Second children get the hand-me-down toys and used clothes, fewer pictures, baby books not completed (if even started). It's just sort of how things work out, but I worry about how it affects the second child ... are they resentful? Do they feel less loved or valued? Or is it just the way things are in their minds and they don't realize things could be different?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to me that you might have an expert on second-child syndrome in your home right now...

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Robin,

I am a second child and I feel I got better treatment personally. LOL:)
When your the baby, your the baby, no matter which order you came in. Never once did I feel I got seconds as far as less pictures, movies, books, etc. Obviously I didn't get handed down clothing though!
If you ask me, when you are the baby of the family, you feel extra special! (But then again, Brian feels the same way about himself, so I guess you can't go wrong!)

Love,

Stephany

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home