Labor Dream
I had this really intense dream last night. I had several Braxton-Hicks contractions while I was sleeping, and apparently that made me dream about labor. I dreamed that I was full term and home alone sleeping. In my dream, I got up from bed to go to the bathroom, and I was in labor. But the contractions weren't that bad, so I figured it was early labor and I had quite a while to go. I mean, I had 26 hours of labor last time - even with labor augmentation - so I figured it was going to get a lot more painful before the baby arrived. Suddenly, at the door to the bathroom, I felt this urge to push. I remember rationalizing in my dream, thinking "Well, this early in labor it probably wouln't hurt to push a little bit - it might get the baby into a better position to be born." Of course, when I started pushing, I pushed the baby out and I had to reach down quickly to catch him before he hit the floor. The umbilical cord was still attached and the placenta came out soon after. I looked at the placenta and umbilical cord and saw them in great detail, very realistically. I remember thinking in my dream that the only thing I know about surprise home births is that you shouldn't cut the cord yourself. Just leave it attached until a medical professional can take care of it. The baby wasn't crying, so I lifted him up and moved him around, and finally he cried a little bit and I could see that he was healthy and perfect. In my dream, I could see every detail of him - the dark grey eyes, the little bit of dark hair covering his head, his little pink mouth. I remember looking at his hands and noting how they were a little bit big for his size and thinking "Oh look, his hands look just like my father's!" And then I woke up, and was just completely disoriented about where I was or what was happened. It took a kick from the baby in my uterus to convince me he hadn't been born already.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home