Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Disaster of Miniature Proportions

We have been potty training Seda for a couple of weeks now, and it's been mostly going pretty well. However, today we had our first out-in-public potty training disaster.

I was in a minor accident recently and happened to not have my current insurance card with me. So I had to go to court today to show them my proof of insurance to get the charges dismissed. I had to leave for court as soon as I got off work, and Mac had to go in to work a short while later, so I had to take Seda with me to court. Mac got her fed, dressed, and ready to go. I grabbed her as soon I got off work, and we left.

Now, I know she can't hold the pee in that long, but right now whenever we leave the house we put her in absorbent Pull-Ups training pants, so if she has an accident it won't leak. We got to court and had to wait kind of a long time before our name was called, and we weren't really allowed to leave the court. I had to keep shushing Seda and reminding her that everyone needs to be very quiet in court. She was getting restless after a while, and I understood because I was getting restless myself - I was getting a bit hungry and thirsty. We were both tired and ready to leave.

Suddenly, Seda sat straight up in her chair and announced in a loud voice in the quiet court, "I peed!!" I looked over and, sure enough, there was a puddle of pee spreading out around her onto her chair. Apparently the assumption I made that Mac had put her into Pull-Ups was incorrect! Seda paused a minute, looked at me, and added, "And I pooped!!" For a minute, I was frozen. What if we left the room and they called our names and I was given a citation for missing my court date? The judge had just given us all a stern warning about missing dates. . . . In the next moment, I decided to chance it and I whisked her off to the bathroom, leaving behind a soaking wet chair.

Mercifully, she was wrong about the poop. There was only pee. Luckily, I had some Pull-Ups with me in my purse, so we fixed the issue and returned to court. I avoided meeting anyone's eyes once I got back there and just acted like nothing happened. Even though we got a dry Pull-Up on her, Seda's dress was still soaking wet, and when we returned to the court she left a big wet spot in the next chair she occupied as well.

Naturally, the judge had called my name in the three minutes we were in the bathroom. But eventually we sorted it out and I showed him my proof of insurace and didn't get a citation for missing our name being called.

I would like to apologize to whover it is that has to clean up the chairs in Ladue court. Sorry! Couldn't do anything about it!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Izzy has decided to potty train himself. I am not prepared. This must be because I laughed my ass off at your step-by-step potty training chart. Oh man.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

3:42 AM  
Blogger gloria said...

you are looking to pretty. Happy belated birthday. I do remember potty training! just when you thought you had it whipped, there you are in the middle of the store,the back seat of the car or the the court room. Too funny!!!!!!!

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still not potty trained .Happy Birthday
Marvin

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home