Still Beatin'
We had a doctor's appointment this morning, and it looks like that thing is still alive in there! It's easy to start thinking something must be wrong between doctor's appointments. I start thinking "Well, I haven't gained any weight in the last week - maybe the baby's stopped growing?" or "I haven't been very nausead or tired - I hardly feel pregnant - maybe that means my hormone levels aren't right" or a thousand other things. No matter what you feel, you can think up reasons that might mean something bad. So, it's always a relief to hear the heartbeat - 150 bpm today. Dr. Patel said everything looked good!
Next Tuesday I'm getting blood drawn for the quad screen. The quad screen checks for your risk of having a baby with Down's Syndrome, a neural tube defect, or another chromosomal abnormality. I should find out the results the following week. On Monday, June 20th we are scheduled for the diagnostic ultrasound, where the technician will check to see if there are any abnormalities with the baby PLUS, we will get to find out the sex, if they are able to tell.
Several people have told me not to expect to feel the baby move for several more weeks - until around the 18th week (I'm only at week 15 now). Yes, I know that on average first time mothers don't feel the baby move until around week 18 ... but I keep having delusions of grandeur that I might be precocious in this area. I spend at least ten minutes each day lying as still as I can with my eyes closed, concentrating on my abdominal area, trying to feel something that feels like butterflies ... and I do! But that might be gas ... or the burrito I ate an hour ago ... or maybe I'm hungry ... or my own blood pumping .... or liquid swishing around in my bladder ... or ...




6 Comments:
See now that you are in the second trimester things level out and you feel better. Less nausea, no heartburn yet, more room in the bladder for some strange reason, loads more energy... Enjoy it! The quad screening requires quite a bit of blood if I remember correctly. If you weren't a good stick before, you will be by the time this is over :) DOn't worry too much about the quad and the 20 w ultrasound. You guys are both young and healthy and the baby bean will most likely be perfect. I drank heavily until I knew I was pregnant at around 5 weeks (it being the end of my first year of law school and much partying needed to be done to unwind) and it made me worry a lot about Henry, but he's perfect. You are a lot better than I was since you knew you were trying.
Anyway, I love reading your experiences. They are universal but at the same time unique to each pregnancy. I love that!
Good news that all is going well, We look at your postings regularly. Dont be worrying, baby is going to be fine, dont worry about gurglings etc. Hope to see you about the end of June.,, Love, Mom and Dad
Hey, Robin,
Steph and I were reviewing your lastest comments. We are so excited and happy everything is looking good. Jessica was just saying how she wishes you guys would move down here to sunny florida, of course so we can love up that baby!! and you guys too!
Love, Bev & Steph
One of my friends say that you are going to have a girl, because of the heart rate. She said that if you are having a boy then the heart rate will be in the lower range, around 130 bpm. Anything that is around the 150/160 is a girl. She is only going from experience, I guess we will see.
Glad to hear things are going good for you. I loved seeing your little belly, it sooo cute.
Love ya,
Mandy
Mandy,
I've heard that theory before, but they say it is an old wives tale and not true. We'll see though! Might be true for me!
Henry and baby boy Mangan both always had heart rates around 150 and the nurses guessed girl.
Post a Comment
<< Home