Thursday, April 28, 2005

Heartbeat

I had a doctor's appointment this morning. Mac went with me. They weighed me and took my blood pressure and a urine sample. Then the doctor asked me how I was feeling and if I had any questions. I mentioned that I've been getting sharp, brief pains in my lower abdomen sometimes when I sneeze or stand up quickly. She said short pains were normal and were just "growing pains" as my uterus expanded.

Then she used a doppler fetal monitor to find and listen to the baby's heartbeat. At first it was hard to find and we could only heart my heartbeat ... then suddenly we could hear this little heartbeat at a much faster rate! 160bpm. I have something inside me that has it's own heartbeat! How weird is that?

Our next doctor's visit is in one month. At that visit we will get the AFP blood test. This test will measure the level of various hormones in my body and tell us if the baby is at risk of having Down Syndrome, a neural tube defect, or another problem. If the test is positive and determines we are at risk, then we will have to have an amniocentesis to determine if the baby really has a problem. At the visit after the next one, we will get an ultrasound - the BIG one - where we can find out the sex!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wheeeeeeee!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was just visiting to chastise you for not blogging and here is a new entry. I'm so happy you heard the heartbeat. Did your nurse guess the sex based on the heartbeat? My fav nurse always guessed girl b/c Henry's heartbeat was usually 152. Are you terribly sleepy yet? I wondered if you were not posting b/c you are sleeping all the time. How's the morning sickness? Have a great weekend!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I'm still tired, but it has gotten a little better. I still sleep a lot at night, but don't need to nap (well, not every day). I haven't been posting anything because all has been quiet on the baby front. My biggest problems is that I have to eat ALL THE TIME. If I don't eat frequently, I get nauseous, shaky, and irritable. And, to make it worse, I seem to be primarily interested in eating things like Chewy Sweet Tarts and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. You'd think my body would be asking for spinach or something ... but NO! It's SUGAR, SUGAR, SUGAR!!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home