Tuesday, August 23, 2005

SMM

The name we have decided on is Seda Morrigan Murphy.

Seda (pronounced SAY-dah) has a couple of different meanings and reasons we like it...

  • Seda is an Armenian name meaning "forest voices"
  • Sada (spelled with an A, but pronounced the same) was a moderately popular name girl's in the late 1800's in the US. It was considered a variation of Sadie.
  • Seda is the Portugese and Spanish word for "silk."
  • We like it because it's easy to spell and pronounce, it's unusual without being weird, it's very versatile (we could imagine Seda Murphy being the name of a CEO or a famous artist or a doctor or really anything), it's difficult to make fun of, and we like the sound of it.
  • We also apparently have a fondness for names with a constanant-vowel-constanant-vowel pattern ... two of our cats are Zara and Nada.

We like Morrigan for a few reasons...

  • Morrigan (old Irish for "great queen") is an ancient Celtic goddess, similar to the Valkyries of Norse mythology.
  • We like a name with a story behind it. Mac and I are both people who were interested in names and their meanings when we were children, and we were both a little disappointed that our names did not have any stories associated with them. Morrigan is full of stories.
  • The Rigan part of Morrigan is the Irish version of the name Regina, my sister's name.
  • My niece also has the initials SM ... we didn't plan either of these, but they are nice references.
  • It's interesting and unusual without being difficult to spell or pronounce, and we like the way it sounds.



The Franklin Mint's Statue of the Goddess Morrigan

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!!

What a pretty name.. I really like it.. Unusual names have much more character....

She will be Your
"LiL Princess Seda Morrigan"


Well...actually it was the initials that did it......

....Stacy Michelle...

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Robin and Mac,

I love the name you picked, Seda Morrigan Murphy is very lovely.

Mom

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT...I LOVE IT...I LOVE IT. I think it is the perfect name for a baby, child and adult. Its one of those names that fits all ages. I cant wait to see Seda, I am sure she will be just as beautiful as her name.

Love ya and miss you,
Mandy

1:47 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I like the name. I think it's lovely.

Also, I looked at the Franklin Mint page for the statue of the goddess Morrigan, and I noticed that that particular rendition was designed by Boris Vallejo...who was behind the "Boris Vallejo's Women of Fantasy" calendar that Matt Scroggins got me for Christmas several years ago. It featured a lot of women wearing fabulous breastplates.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now see Seda written everywhere!!!! I never knew the word.... I saw today "papel seda" in an ad...I was so excited I almost cut it out and called you

.it is pronounced in spanish Seda with a E not an A also Ceda is pronounced the same but has a different meaning it is also a common last name....Seda is (silk)and Ceda means (yield)

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Robin!,

That is a beautiful name! I really love it!
I thought I would just write you a little note to let you know that I'm engaged! ( although Grandma probably already told you:))
Maybe seda will be old enough to be a little flower girl? Its not until next December, 2006. Here is a link to our wedding website....
http://stephanyandryan.weddings.com
Talk to you soon!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin and Mac

just love the name, Seda Morrigan
Murphy. You can say it over and over, sounds great every time.

Glo

4:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful! We are looking forward to meeting Miss Seda

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice names Momma and Poppa, to be.
Love from: Marvin, Joan, Bobby Amber and Carlee

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home